Sunday, August 23, 2009

Did You Know? 3.0 and Mr. Winkle Wakes

Wow! Have you ever watched Did You Know 3.0 by Carl Fisch on YouTube? It is definitely an eye opener. This video has many different pieces of information that will make you scratch your head or your jaw hit the floor. One thing that stood out to me was that there are 31 billion searches on Google every month. Who were these questions asked B.G. (Before Google)? Another statistic that I thought was really neat was that 1 out of 8 couples that were married last year met on the internet. Maybe I should try one of those websites….. I work for a big cell phone company and I had no idea that the first commercial text message was sent in December of 1992. Did you ever realize that today the number of text messages sent and received everyday exceeds the total population of the planet? Now that is crazy!

On a more serious note, this taught me that the top 10 jobs in demand in 2010, did not exist in 2004 which means we are currently preparing students for jobs that do not exist. The
U.S. Department of Labor is telling me that I will have 10 to 14 jobs by the time I am 38. I hope this does not come true! Also it is hard for me to believe that Bermuda is the number 1 ranked country in broadband internet penetration and that the U.S. is number 19. That is wild. The last bit of information that I thought was really cute on this YouTube video is that 67 babies were born in the U.S. while I was watching this video and 395 were born in India that is quite a few more than in the U.S.!

1 comment: