Sunday, November 22, 2009

Seven Stupid Things Teachers Do With Technology

tech proof image
4. Thinking online communication is ever private. Eventually, everyone sends an embarrassing personal message to a listserv. I've heard of some tech directors who get their jollies reading salacious inter-staff e-mails. Your school e-mails can be requested and must be produced if germane to any federal lawsuits. Even e-mail deleted from your computer still sits on servers somewhere -- often for a very loooong time. Think you wiped out your browsing history? Don't bet that is the only set of tracks you've left that show where you've been surfing. Your Facebook page will be looked at by the school board chair; your superintendent and principal know who the author of that "anonymous" blog is. Not assuming everyone can see what you send and do online is stupid.

I think that this is so funny because it is so true! You should never write anything to anyone at anytime that you would not let your mother read on a computer or a phone because it could be traced back to you, any text message, any email, it could all come back to bite you right in the butt! Some of the funniest news stories I have seen lately is college professors having affairs on campus and accidently sending their provacative emails to the whole school! I mean how could you be that stupid!

5. Believing that one's teaching style need not change to take full advantage of technology. Using technology to simply add sounds and pictures to lectures is stupid. Smart technology use is about changing the roles of both teacher and student. The computer-using student can now be the content expert; the teacher becomes the process expert asking such questions as “Where did you get that information? How do you know it's accurate? Why is it important? How can you let others know what you discovered? And how can you tell if you did a good job?” The world has changed and it is rank stupidity not to recognize it and change as well.

I agree with this one totally, I want to be a very tech savy teacher but the problem is that I do not know much about technology. I want to learn so much more, this is the first class that I have taken about technology in the classroom and I think that if I had not taken such a hard class load I would have enjoyed it much more. I just feel like I did not have the time to put in that it takes to master these skills, but I am very interested in using technology in the classroom and I think that all teacher should use some sort of technology in their classroom because it is what kids understand and it is how they learn and what they are interested in.

Click here to read this article for yourself.

Older Post Home
Haley E. Mills
Photo by me

Contact Me
Email MePhone Number: 251-634-2174 251-634-2174 Skype Address: haleymills24@skype.com

No comments:

Post a Comment